This salad was one I whipped up rather quickly the other day. While a poached egg on a salad might seem odd to you, the luscious yoke oozing down through the warm mushrooms and salad are fabulous when they mix with the garlicky vinaigrette!
Warm Mushroom Salad with Garlicky Vinaigrette
Author: Katie of Dishin & Dishes
- INGREDIENTS for dressing:
- ⅓ c. red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 T. dijon mustard
- 2 T. honey
- ½ – ⅔ c olive oil (I lean towards less)
- 1 T. chopped basil (fresh)
- 1 t. chopped fresh dill
- ½ t. chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ c. sour cream or plain yogurt
- (for Salad)
- 2 c. fresh cress, spinach or any salad green you prefer
- 1 package sliced portabello mushrooms (about 2 whole mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 T. chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 T. parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 egg, poached
- Add olive oil (slowly if whisking in bowl, all in and shake if using jar).
- If using sour cream or yogurt, add in and whisk or shake again.
- For salad – Put greens in large bowl or plate.
- Saute mushrooms in 1 T. of olive oil until browned.
- Scoop onto salad.
- Sprinkle tomatoes over top and shave cheese with potato peeler over top also.
- Drizzle dressing over all.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to bowl, then remove from heat.
- Crack egg into glass bowl. Slide it very gently into water. Use a spoon to gather frayed egg whites towards yolks. Let set about 3 minutes or until white looks firm and yellow is still soft.There will be feathered bits of egg in the water leftover.
- Remove with a slotted spoon carefully and place on top of salad.
- Can also just use a fried egg.